Thursday, December 4, 2008

Mom - It's not Just a Word

How is it that young mothers today continue to live as if their children are babydolls that they can put on a shelf and come back to later? Babies do not understand why you leave or how much time has passed before you come back. Aren't you concerned about when they cry, if they are fed on time, or even if the person tending to your child really cares if any of their needs are met.

I have always considered my children every step of the way. I believe wholeheartedly that children remember you when they are young and the things you put them through. I remember when I was a child my sister spent a lot of time with my brother and me. She would take us to the park, movies, pool, and even hold me in her arms and sing to me until I fell to sleep. Sure, we made her nuts a couple of times and she would give us a spanking but I never remember being abused or neglected.

My children and I talk about when they were young and what they remember about the times we spent together. I know quite a few who, no matter how much I try to stress to them the importance of keeping their children safe and loved, continue to go about their business without regard for their children.

How about the ladies that allow a man to enter their lives and tell their children what to do. I know that there are plenty of relationships where your significant other has come into your life, taken your children under wing, and have shown them that there does not have to be a biological connection to love unconditionally and I commend them for that.

What about the ones who do not know how to love someone else's child. Have you ever heard of the "lion syndrome." The lion enters the Pride, battles the male and wins. The newcomer proceeds to kill off each and every cub that is not his own. He then takes over the Pride, mates with the female lions and starts his own pride.

A classic case of the Lion Syndrome - On "True TV" the guy enters the store with his girlfriend's child and behind the store shelves where he thought no one would see he begins to beat the child, hit him when he opens the refrigerator door, and then walks away as if nothing ever happened. The child was about two years old, if that. Thankfully, there was a store video camera that caught the whole thing and after airing it on the news the man was arrested and charged. Could you imagine how that child's mother felt or was she the type to put the child on the shelf and come back for him when she was ready to be a mom again?

Ladies, when you bring a child into this world, he/she is your responsibility to keep safe and love til death do you part. Never say "He has a father let him deal with the baby." Remember, the baby doesn't know why you leave or how long it will be before you get back. They only know that you are their mother and they love you unconditionally and it is your job to love them back and keep them safe from harm. So, when your baby cries, before you leave him somewhere, stop and think are you making the right decision. You DID decide to bring him/her into this world didn't you?

Don't take the chance because it only takes a second to harm a child. Once that is done there is no going back!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, you nailed it right on the head. It is always amazing to me that you have to pass a test to drive a car....but not to parent a child. Great post!